Friday, February 25, 2011

Angela and Conjunctivitis

Being the dog-ma (Get it?! LAWL! Play on words! I'm an English Major so this makes me witty and creative!....Right? ;___;) of a pup of depressingly low intellect, one would expect that Angela would get herself injured or in trouble quite often.

You bet your ass she does.

Angela has a penchant for doing one or more of the following things:

1. Eating Mommy and Daddy's shoes/shirts
2. Eating Daddy's jeans and leaving holes in inappropriate places
3. Eating Mommy's make up
4. Eating in the garbage can
5. Eating kitty litter out of Kitkat's litter box
6. Drinking out of the toilet
7. Digging giant trenches in the backyard
8. Pooping in the den/dining room/kitchen
9. Harassing Kitkat to the point where blood is drawn by the cat

Numbers 1,3,4,5,6,7 and 9 all happened this week. Let's focus on #9.

Besides Angela, I have the meanest little tortoiseshell cat in existence.



See? She doesn't even want me to take a simple photo of her.


Her name is Kitkat and my God in Heaven does she hate the dog. Whenever Angela goes near her, Kitkat lets out this strange high/low pitched growling that sounds like a cross between a guinea pig's squeak and a car motor.

Angela, being not much smarter than the average bear (or in this case, dog), does not take the hint and continues to pester the cat to play. Kitkat does not respond well to this and usually ends with Angela getting clawed in the face and turning tail to hide under the safety of the queen sized bed in the master bedroom.

Four days ago, Angela got more than a scratch at her face.

The day after Angela got scratched, I noticed her right eye looked very red and swollen. I asked Jonathan if it was possible for dogs to get pink eye and he said he didn't know. We chalked it up to Angela being ignorant of the cat's warnings and got popped in the eye.

The second day Angela had a streak of puppy tears down her right eye and I noticed she couldn't completely open it. She looked so sad it nearly broke my poor little heart, By the end of the night, she started rubbing her eye against her paws as if she were extremely irritated. Jonathan and I decided that if this wouldn't go away by the weekend, we would take Angela to the vet.

Unfortunately Saturday was too far away. By Wednesday, Angela was scratching at her eye and tearing up like a crazy pup! I couldn't just sit by and do homework while my puppy was looking at me with pain literally in her eyes. I decided to call the vet for a last minute walk-in. No way was I going to make my pup-magup wait around until Saturday to be taken care of. She was in too much pain to put off a vet visit.




Here's a photo of my poor little pup-magup's scratched up eye. The entire white of her eye was a pinky red-color. If you'll look closely at the inner corner of her eye, you can see it better.



Taking Angela to the vet is one of the suckiest things in the history of suck. She doesn't heel and cower in a curled up ball of fur.

No, no.

She LOVES going to the vet. She hops all over the receptionists and nurses. Fortunately, they love Angela's energy and don't mind when she gets hoppy. Angela is probably the most social dog I will ever have. She adores people. Whenever I take her out, she's sniffing and barking and jumping at people that walk by. The vet is no exception. Even if they stick a thermometer up her butt, she'll still look at the doctor with adoring eyes.

When I entered the vet's office, Angela went full blast into hyper-puppy mode. She jumped all over the waiting room chairs, sniffed at other patients' owners' butts, and dragging me along on the leash. I will love that dog forever but GOD she is infuriating at the vet.

It only gets worse. I had thought Angela outgrew this, but she did it anyway when she laid eyes on our veterinarian, Dr. McKehee.

She had excited pee.

Twice.

I'm starting to suspect she has a crush on the Vet.

Dr. McKehee confirmed my suspicions, though. The cat it turns out DID get Angela in the eye. Apparently, when the cat swiped at Angela, her claw swiped right under the lid which irritated it and gave Angela conjuntivitis. Normally, it can just go away on it's own given a couple days with some basic eye drops. But apparently if the syptoms worsen and are ignored it can turn out to be something alot worse like glucoma, which can have serious consequences such as loss of sight if not treated. I'm much happier taking Angela to the vet and finding out it's nothing; unlike what happened when Jonathan and I first brought Angela home.

All I have to do is squirt some medicated eye drops in her eye for a week and it should clear up nicely. I just have to make sure she doesn't rub her eye and irritate it more.

So let me get this straight. I have to stop Angela from being irritating for a whole week?

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment